FitBark Dog Activity Monitor

The Woof Blog

Join The Woof Pack! Social network. doggy directory. news and blog. We give you deals, events, special offers and a whole lot more, and it's FREE to join!    Sign Up Now!

What to do If You Think Your Dog Has Been Accidentially Poisoned

The last thing any dog owner wants to think of is any harm coming to their furkids, but the truth is, there are all sorts of things that could harm your dog, and poisoning is a very real risk. In most cases of poisoning, dogs are not deliberately poisoned. It's entirely preventable, but the good news is, in many cases, it's also very preventable.

It Can Happen at Any Age

You might think that puppies are more likely to be poisoned, but the truth is, dogs of all ages are at risk of being accidentally poisoned, especially those that are really playful or bored. They will investigate all sorts of things in the home, and very often it is these things that can cause them to become very ill, or even die. Pills and medications are the most common cause of accidental poisoning in dogs, so it is very important that you keep these locked away, out of reach of not only your pets, but your small children as well.

Since there are so many foods that are potentially toxic to dogs too, even a sneaky snack might result in accidental poisoning of your dog.

How to Tell If Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

Signs to look out for if you suspect that your dog might have ingested something that could poison him are diarrhea, fits, severe vomiting, collapse, and even coma.

Also look for "smoking guns". Missing food, chewed up gum packages or pill bottles in reach are all signs that your dog might have got into something he shouldn't have, and needs medical attention.

What To Do If You Think Your Dog Has Been Poisoned

Some people say that you should try to get your dog to vomit if he has been poisoned, but this isn't always the best course of cation. We recommend calling your vet first, and getting their advice before you take any further action.

It is vitally important that you only induce vomiting if your dog has swallowed the poisonous substance within the past hour, if he is alert and conscious, and if you are absolutely sure that the poison is not of an irritating or caustic nature.

To get your dog to vomit, you can give him a strong solution of lukewarm salt water – about 1 teaspoon to a cup of water. When he has vomited, collect a sample, and take your dog to the vet immediately. The same applies if your dog has collapsed. Take him, together with a sample of his vomit, and the container which held the substance that your dog ate. This will help the vet to identify the type of poison that your dog has eaten, and give him the treatment he needs, as soon as possible.

Prevent Poisoning

The best idea, when it comes to your dog and poisoning, is to avoid it altogether.

Keep chemicals and medications well out of reach. Never use poison to get rid of mice or other pests (your dog might find either the poison or the bodies, and either one might have tragic consequences!). Train your dog not to take any food that you don't give him, and always be vigilant when you are serving foods that aren't dog friendly!

Article CTA

Comments on What to do If You Think Your Dog Has Been Accidentally Poisoned

Be the first to comment
Please login to comment

Login or Register

Skymee Dog Camera

The Skymee Dog Camera treat dispenser has night vision, two way radio and is compatible with Alexa. It's also one of the most affordable options on the market!

Buy it on Amazon!

Buy vaccines, medications and more!